Thursday, October 11, 2012

Are LinkedIn Skills Endorsement diluting the value of our profiles?

Unexpected Skills
I am in two minds about the LinkedIn skills endorsement.

My anecdotal experience is that it ignites the “Click-me-I-click-you” mechanism that is common on Twitter or Facebook: people pay back the favour by endorsing those who endorsed them.
The risk is that we end up being labelled with our most public skills; for instance, I seem to be a Cloud expert (notably because I have been vocal about this since 2007) while the most substantial part of my job is all about IT Transformation... Ok there's a part of Cloud Computing in it but it's not that relevant.

In a certain sense, Skills Endorsements could be diminishing the value of our profiles by streamlining them to the most discussed ones. They miss the point in creating a holistic view of our experience; a short, non scientific profile-search on my contacts shows that less than 10% of these people have been exposed to some of my very own strategic skills like IoT.

If this really takes off, either it’s time to trim the fat off LinkedIn contacts, or the Skills Endorsement should be targeted at specific communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment